March 12, 2010

Wat Po

Temples are on every must-do list on a when visiting Bangkok. This is for good reason-they are royal, magnificent, and mystical!! You'll see in the photos...

Outside the temple, it is a madhouse--tons of exhaust emitting mega-buses unloading tourists. There are signs posted to be weary of pic-pockets (hello anxiety). It is a state of chaos.

However, once you enter the temple, it becomes instantly calming. It feels as if the world has such a bigger meaning and I am so small. Although, I could have been feeling small because the Reclining Buddha is 46 meters ~150 feet long!!!

As I was walking through the temple, I heard clinking sounds echoing through the open aired building, adding to the mystification. As I turned the corner, behind the Buddha, there are 100 pots for offering. For a small donation, you get a cup filled with 100 coins and drop one coin in each cup, making a wish on every pot. I thought of health, happiness, and peace for family, friends and Doug & I. Hopefully the good thoughts will be coming your way!

After soaking it all in, we checked out the traditional medicine center where we got 1 hour Thai massages!! It was ahhmazing.

My pictures cannot capture the grandiose of it, but they are still telling. Check out the picture of Buddha's toes- for size relativity, my head is probably the size of one toenail.

Here are the pics: