March 27, 2010

Shopping Therapy

In Bangkok, you can’t go a block without somewhere to shop, whether it’s a market, mall or street vendor. And this is why I think it is called “The Land of Smiles”. Shopping cures all!!

Today was crazy. I debated on going to the Grand Palace or the zoo. I checked with my front desk to see where the protestors were going to be, so would NOT be there. EVERYBODY here is sure to tell me to avoid protests. They said zoo was good! SWEET!

Who knew I could be challenged to have a good time at a zoo?? I love zoos and animal watching.

I was on my way by 9am to beat the rush, right?

After a short ride on the skytrain and quick taxi ride, I arrive. I pay my admission and on my way. At first, it appeared as if I had the zoo to MYSELF. Until I got further along, when it became obvious, there were tons of military/police/guards stationed there. I knew I had done something wrong…
The military was using the zoo as base camp-there probably 3000 guards randomly grouped throughout the zoo. At one point, they had surveillance setup to watch the roads outside the zoo.

Imagine the looks I was getting!!! Not mean, but I stood out, BAD.
The Dunsit zoo is built in circle and you have to go all the around to get out-so there was no ducking out. As I got further into the zoo, the soldiers began to REALLY outnumber the animals. I was trying to play it cool-no big deal. I was able to enjoy some of the exhibits, but it was not comfortable. A couple of uniformed guys approached me and asked me where I was from---it seemed like they were just making small talk.

When I finally circled back to the exit, they had closed the zoo because the protestors were outside! The police were lined near the exit/entrance in their riot gear. I became TERRIFIED. Tears were forming. I said I wanted to go home so they opened the door and were closing it behind me…...uh no, I walked right back in and asked if they were help me get a taxi. They had an employee walk me out….

The street was blocked from traffic so we had to walk up through the protestors. He kept telling me “happy”, “be happy”, I guess to prevent a bad reaction from the crowd. Smiling, with tears a welling- I WAS HAPPY! He passed me off to a military guard who continued to walk me up the street and found me a taxi. AWW.

Thank goodness for that employee; I hope he did not get a hard time on his walk back.
Here’s what the news said…. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g3j-vAVG1fg3kEfnogTiH8_4EXvwD9EMTJPG0

So what to do after that????

SHOP!!!! Shopping therapy. It cures all.

Now that I can think about it, I should not have been anxious/ scared. The protestors have not been violent. They are using their freedom and I believe in that. I wasn’t really scared of them or of the police. But after seeing all the armed guards/ riot gear / and being really, really out of my element, I was just a little emotional. I am glad I got out of there.

I just wonder, why did they sell me that ticket???? I really wish they had turned me away.

On a positive note, the Dusit Zoo has a cool nocturnal exhibit, a neat walk-through birdhouse, and I think Thais have a thing for albino animals.

Unfortunately, I did not get any really telling pics of the whole situation because I was not sure how they would react to me snapping shots of them, but I got just a couple from afar.




PS, Dear St. Louis Zoo, I love you.