March 31, 2010

Bangkok Traffic

Bangkok traffic is not fun. I have not figured out any rhythm to the degree of congestion. There doesn't seem to be rush hour-we even hit traffic on our way from the airport at midnight.

There are many transportation options: taxi, sky train, subway, boat, motorbike, and a tuk-tuk. What is a tuk-tuk?? Its pretty much 3-wheeled golf cart.

Tuk Tuk (took took)


Boat Taxi



My favorite is the sky train, which is the subway that goes above the city-it is awesome!! Very easy to navigate.


I think I have witnessed four car accidents. One person fell off his motorbike and the bike went sliding across the street. Scary. I have seen up to 3 people on one motorbike, including toddlers, and many do not wear helmets. A little different from what I’m use to! I will not be traveling by moterbike.

One upsetting moment happened on the skytrain. A foreigner was pick-pocketed. It was a bump and grab- right when the train was coming to a stop. The thief ran off the train. The whole situation was disturbing! Ugh.
I did take comfort that some Thai women used the emergency phone call to report the situation. The train was stopped and the police came. Times like this I really hate not being able to understand Thai (and when trying to order food!). I hope they got ‘em! Everone that i have talked to said they have never witnessed this....so I dont think it happens too often. I DO NOT want that to happen to me- just a reminder for me to be aware.

Overall i am very mobile...you really dont need a car to get around- most people with cars just sit in traffic!