March 17, 2010

Don't be Freaked, but

Today I started my internship at the US Embassy. I am working for the U.S. Department of Commercial Services assisting with market research, company profiles, and meeting planning/trade shows. The purpose of commercial services is to aid US companies that want to export their products. President Obama has outlined a new export initiative to double exports over the 5 years in order to boost the economy and grow jobs. So there are many feel good aspects to my position and I will be learning valuable research/analytical techniques to apply to my job when I get back home!

So my first day...

I got my new space assignment (very generous for an intern). I am looking in my desk drawers….fully stocked: pens, stapler, notebook, biological warfare mask, some injection looking devise that I think you are suppose to use if there is a biological threat. Um ok. Nice. Wakeup call!

You may have seen on the news there are protests in Bangkok. The Red Shirt party wants Thailand’s king to step-down (google it if you want to know more). Protestors have been gathering in Bangkok since Sunday. I have been conscious avoid the areas where they congregated (not close to me)…..until today.

Right around lunchtime, the protestors arrived right outside the US embassy. They were LOUD- speakers, music, horns – RED everything. They filled the streets and stopped traffic. It was very surreal. My co-workers were joking that it was a celebration for my first day!

After a couple of hours, they moved on to the British embassy…in peace. Although I read they threw blood on the prime minister’s house-GROSS!

View from window:


PS..i really like my co-workers!! There are lots of girls-YAY (my classes are all guys). I have a lot of work to do to get their names straight. I completely suck at Thai…so embarrassing.