January 2, 2012

Day 9: Serenity found



After the night, I let myself sleep in a bit and lounge around.  Later that morning, I took the subway out to Lantau Island to spend the day visiting the Big Buddha.   The line to get tickets was insanely long, but I pulled out the ipad and just read through the line….about an hour and that was just to get to the ticket window.  The wait was worth it. 

I took a glass bottom gondola to the top of the Buddha Mountain.  6 people fit in a gondola and in my gondola there were 2 girls from Canada who were on their way home from spending 3 weeks in Thailand….we shared stories and they gave me some tips on where to go while in HK.  The gondola was cool and the views were awesome!





Once we got to the area, I was already super happy.  The sky was a baby blue and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.  The temperature was an awesome 65. I hiked up the Big Buddha and took lots of pictures. 
















I had found my serenity; there was defiantly peacefulness in the area.


After walking around for a while I bought a meal ticket for a late lunch at the local seminary.  All the food is vegetarian.  And really really good vegetarian.   Isn’t it amazing how in different parts of the world the same items of food are cooked completely different and have an entire new taste?   The white thing below is made from radishes….and it was DELICIOUS!  The other thing, had peanuts and coconut. 


After the wonderful meal I checked out the temple.  I love the smell of temples, the aroma of incense and cloud of smoke rising to the heavens.  So peaceful. 







At about 6pm I took the gondola back to the subway.  I was lucky to be in the gondola as the sun was setting- the perfect way to end the day. I took the train back to the area I was staying and of course, I got lost.  I got turned around and turned around.  I was going to check out the night market, but  I thought I should just end the nice day and go to bed early.