January 2, 2012

Day 10 So much to do, so little time part 2


After spending the day with the ladies, Teresa gave me instructions to another tourist must do- the Peak.  I caught the ferry to the other island and took a bus to the top of the mountain.  We drove through neighborhoods and I got to see a lot of nicer neighborhoods.  The drive was nice it was so green and lush. Teresa told me to keep an eye out or the Philipaean maids gathered outside a mall we would pass.  Sure enough there were lots of them.  She explained it is manadory for all maids to be off on Sundays so the all gather and play cards etc.  I thought it was odd that their maids were from Philipeans. Why wouldn’t the use maids from the mainland.  It turns out that one of the only things China will not export is their people.  It is illegal to hire a mainland Chinese maid.  Hummm.


I got to the top of the peak just as the sun was setting.  What sunning views- in every direction.   It was quite chillier way up there so I grabbed  grande carmel maccanito form good old Starbucks and headed back to the other island.









At 8pm every night, Hong Kong’s cityscape turns into a laser light show.  Each building is lit up and flashes lights to the sound of music.  It was even more dedicant because of it being Christmas time. There were so many people who gathered around to watch.  I was looking from Kowloon Island onto Hong Kong Island and the people on Hong Kong Island viewed the building behind me on Kowloon Island.  Pretty neat.  I dont think we have anything like this in the states.