April 14, 2010

What’s on the menu??

How about
• Chicken Galangal (ginger) Coconut Soup
• Spicy Mungbean Noodle Salad (glass noodles)
• Chicken with Cashew Nut
• Red Curry Chicken
• Fried Fish Cakes
• And of course, sticky rise and mango

I had a great day at cooking school.

We started out with some lessons on how to shop at the local market. My funny and very flamboyant instructor was sure to point out the three types of basil: sweet, sour and spicy. They each had very distinct smells. We watched a fresh coconut be processed. They crack it take the milk and then put the “meat” into a grinder to make fresh coconut. OMG smelled so fantastic.

After we got our ingredients, we headed up to the classroom. We cleaned all the items and then started on our first dish. We ate each dish once we made it. Needless to day, I was stuffed, but it was all sooo good.

We cooked everything on a wok, except the rice. There are two basic types of rice, regular which you boil, and sticky which you steam.

I was trying so hard to memorize everything I was doing. Fortunately, we got copies of the recipes for dishes we made.

I think the fresh ingredients are key. Some common ingredients were kaffir lime, fish sauce, basil, coriander, lemon grass, bird eye chilies, ginger, and veggies.

I sure hope I can repeat at home-I’d love to be able to share some tastes of Thailand!