April 10, 2010

I LOVE Chiang Mai

Last weekend, I took a weekend up to Chaing Mai. I was told that’s where many Bangkokians go to get away (aside from the beach spots). I could not have been more pleased with my weekend. I LOVE Chaing Mai…..it is a wonderfully charming town.

I paid $130 for my roundtrip ticket and $35 a night for a quaint room in a very lovely bed and breakfast- “3 Sis”. I can’t say how much I loved this place- as the name implies its ran by 3 sisters-who were sooo nice-made me miss my sisses.

The streets are very welcoming and lots of little shops-very old town. Most people were on bikes or motorcycles. Such a different pace.


Bamboo Raft along the river. Soooo peaceful. No pics, they would let you bring your camera b/c you get a little wet. You sit on a flat raft made of bamboo, your hinny gets a bit wet, while a guide steers the raft along the river. Alongside the river, there are covered docks that the locals can rent out for the day-pretty cool. Wouldn't those be an ideal for our MO rivers- float trips!!




“Watting” = the touring of temples (wats). They are fascinating-I do get a feeling of spiritual awareness when I’m in one. Some people have told me this gets old fast, but I still enjoy checking them out-its part of the culture, right? There were several in walking distance from my hotel. One big difference between the temples in Chiang Mai and Bangkok is, the Chiang Mai temples were being visited by locals. Some were very busy, however in Bangkok, they are mostly filled with tourists.