April 12, 2010

Random thoughts

I’m stealing the random thought approach from life with WE blog…it’s so useful to get it all out. thanks, gibber!

Its 100 degrees here. A little hot.

I firmly believe calories do not count on vacation, but I’ve tried to stretch this to “calories don’t count abroad.” Not good. I have a thing for ice cream here (hello "hot") I can do a whole tub in day. Lock me in my room and it is gone in an hour.

I like how calories are listed as “energy” on the nutritional values here (the only English word on the box). I need lots of energy, better have lots of calories! Sound good?

Bangkok needs some rain BAD!! The city smells like urine from the month long residence of protestors. In this heat, it’s getting gross.

Today the protestors drove around the city with the caskets in the back of their trucks. They drove past the embassy and honked their horns, just another day at the office! Times like this I need a friend from home to be like WTF?, without insulting anyone.

On that note…Did I mention how EXCITED I am for Lisa to be here. We are going to have a blast. We have a lot planned, Elephant refugee volunteering, shopping, diving, and lounging on the beach. Can’t wait.

Tomorrow is Songkran, Thai New Year celebration. The government canceled most of the big celebrations, but I am sure there will be stuff going on. Traditionally, it is a day full of water fighting- people spray, throw, dump water on each other. Sounds like a good time especially because its so hot.

I cannot remember my resolutions from our new year. Shoot. Maybe I should make some more. Moderation of ice cream? Nah, who am I kidding.

Even though I have a fabulous chief at home, I going to take a Thai cooking class. I hope I learn a lot to share with everyone when I get home (with all my fingers)- Thai food is DELICIOUS.

I need to do my homework…mid-terms this week. This means I am half way through my journey!

And there she is, looking so harmless, but she can sure make it toasty: